Sunday 1 June 2014

Sad Octopus (Is Sad)

If I had my way, at the moment, I would spend all the time I'm not playing capoeira, eating or sleeping - writing blues and reading books. Sadly there is also work - and practicing expanding my jazz repertoire. And cleaning, and cooking, and wasting time fruitlessly on the internet and life in general.

I set out to write an E flat blues. I ended up writing an E flat minor blues by accident. I think my accidents, in composition anyway, are often more interesting than when I try to be interesting.

The title of this tune is inspired by a cut-out by Matisse (which I saw in the blockbuster exhibition at the Tate). The official title of the cut out is Two Masks (The Tomato). But on seeing it - I didn't think it looked either like two masks, or a tomato.

I think this is a picture of a Sad Octopus.


In the tune Sad Octopus is even sadder than he is in the picture. If I had set out to write a tune about the Sad Octopus it would've been a bit brighter. There would've been some green amid the blue. Sad Octopus, in the tune is sad. Really sad. Sad like a clown howling at the moon. Don't say you weren't warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment